If you love prawns and love using minimal ingredients for maximum results then you are going to LOVE these.
what you need
- 1 kg green prawns, heads removed, shell removed except for tail segment
- sea salt
- peppercorns: black or Szechuan are best
- dried chilli flakes
- a little olive oil for frying
- spring onion, finely sliced to garnish
what to do
- Clean the prawns, leaving just the tail segment of shell to use as a handle. Using a sharp knife slice along the back curve, not all the way through though, just to butterfly the flesh open. Remove the poop, and place all the cleaned butterflied prawns in a glass bowl.
- Use a pestle and mortar to crush the salt, pepper, and chilli flakes. The amounts will depend on the amount of prawns you have, as well as how much heat you want from the pepper and chilli. Coat the prawns well, adding a tablespoon of olive oil. Leave to marinate for about thirty minutes.
- In a hot wok or large frypan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and fry the prawns until they turn pink and feel a little firm, and have formed a bit of a crust, this should only take three or four minutes. Toss through while frying to cook evenly. Sprinkle some sliced spring onion or thin shallots over before serving. Enjoy!