Mashed potato and chorizo sausage all crispy golden crumbed and fried? Yes please.
For a vegetarian alternative feel free to swap the chorizo for some spinach or peas: also yum!
what you need
- 2 fresh chorizo sausages
- a good quantity of mashed potato, butter okay but no milk
- salt and pepper
- a pinch of smoked paprika
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg for croquette filling
- plain flour, for croquette filling and for crumbing
- for egg wash: 3 eggs lightly beaten, seasoned with salt and pepper, and 1 cup of milk added
- panko crumbs
- oil for frying
what to do
Begin by squeezing the sausage filling out of the casing and into a hot pan, frying and breaking it up as you would when browning mince. Make sure you use fresh chorizo sausages, if you have the firm cured variety don’t bother squeezing the filling out of the skin, just chop up finely and fry until golden.
Mix the sausage filling with the mashed potato, add the seasonings, herbs, cheese, a heaped tablespoon of flour, one egg, and combine it all well.
Shape into small logs, and carefully crumb them. Dip into flour, gently dust off excess, coat in egg wash, then coat well with panko crumbs.
Fry on a high heat until golden and crispy, allowing to drain over a wire rack until ready to serve. Serve with aioli or a romesco sauce.