I love a good salad.
Adapting your favourite summer salads to Autumn or Winter flavours by switching to seasonal ingredients, and swapping peaches for apples and almonds for pecans takes your salad game to a whole new level.
I also think this salad would be great with some flaked smoked trout instead of the cranberries, and Parmesan instead of goats cheese.
What you need:
For the salad:
- Mixed green leaves, rocket, baby spinach, and watercress are great
- Green pears, thinly sliced
- Spring onion or green shallots, sliced on the diagonal
- Dried cranberries
- Pecans, roughly chopped
- Goats cheese
For the dressing:
- Olive oil, fresh lemon juice, seeded mustard, salt, and pepper
- To finish: caramelised balsamic vinegar
What to do:
- Assemble the salad in two layers so you get a nice mix of everything, so use roughly half of the ingredients in each layer, except for the cheese which goes on top only.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients in a jug and pour over the salad, very gently and barely tossing through so as to not mess up the layers. Finish with a drizzle of caramelised balsamic.