I thought blueberry and coconut muffins were the bomb until I went for a mix of fresh strawberries, macadamias, and white chocolate. To say that they have been a hit here at the cafe would be an understatement. They sell out within a couple of hours every time, and getting one to take home is proving a challenge, so of course now I’m baking them at home too…
I use the large Texas muffins tray and the quantity here is for six big muffins. The amount can be doubled for a dozen large ones, or you can use the amounts below for a standard twelve cup muffin tray. Remember to adjust the cooking time.
what you need
- Two cups of self raising flour
- One cup of brown sugar
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A dash of vanilla extract
- 125 gm unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125 ml buttermilk
- 1/3 cup chopped macadamias
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1/4 cup white chocolate bits
- A few whole strawberries set aside
what to do
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Either grease your muffin tray or line with paper muffin cups.
- Melt the butter.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the vanilla, butter, eggs, and buttermilk, and mix gently with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Add the nuts, diced strawberries, and chocolate and fold through gently. Divide the mixture between the muffin holes, then take the few whole strawberries and place half a strawberry on top if each muffin.
- Bake for about thirty minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Dust with icing sugar before serving.